1. Romantic love will last forever
2. Partner is all they will ever need
3. They should live happily ever after
4. Christians are able to solve all marital problems
5. I can change my spouse
6. Men and Women are basically the same
7. My partner can and will meet all my needs
EXPECTATIONS OF GOD FOR MARRIAGE:
1. Ps. 127 – Realistic
2. God – Husband – Wife – God at the top of the triangle – man and woman are equal – Ecc. 4:12
3. Marriage is monogamous and heterosexual in order to multiply
4. Marriage is permanent – we ask – we receive Mt. 7:24
5. God designed marriage – God directed marriage – God empowers marriage – the next triangle.
6. God expects marriage to be a covenant – not a contract – (Mal. 2:14- 16)
7. Covenant in Hebrew means (cut in order to bleed)
8. Woman is the covenant partner in a marriage – (virgins bleed on their wedding night) which seals the covenant.
9. The wedding ring is the sign of the covenant – the circle never ends.
10. In the Covenant we give up our rights and assume our responsibilities to one another.
11. Leave parents and become one flesh – Ge. 2:24
12. Spouse is number one priority (no divorce – no replacement)
13. Divorce is only allowed by adultery, but if the partner is willing to forgive they should remain together.
14. One who hears the Word, does the Word has a strong house.
15. Marriage continues to cleave together until death do them part.
16. Love is not an emotional decision – it is a covenant before God
17. Marriage is not about ME – it is about WE. It means being a team. Notice there is no I in the word team.
18. God designed it, God can make it healthy, and God can heal it.
Definition of marriage:
Marriage is a lifetime commitment an unconditional love to an imperfect person forever.
In the year 2005 – 51% of women were without spouses.